Monday, March 25, 2013

Dropzone Commander: Wait it doesn't have to be 28mm?

Ok, first off let me appologize.  I told you all this would be up on Saturday.  Well, that was before 3 separate infections settled into the mucus centers of my body.  That's a respiratory and sinus infection, oh and my favorite pink-eye, for those of you keeping score at home.  But enough with my excuses, today I'm going to give you all a little more in-depth look into the game, by Hawk Wargames, called Dropzone Commander.




First off, let me say that another read through of the rule-book reminded me of why I liked this game the first time I read it.  According to the Hawk Wargames website the rules make up about 35 A4 sized pages.  There are a lot of imagery though out that 35 pages, so trust me, it doesn't read like a dissertation.  However those 35 pages don't cover one of the more fun parts of the book, the 16 pages of scenarios.  The diversity of play in those scenarios is definitely a plus for the game.  There are 12 scenarios, 4 or which are designed for up to 4 players (Yep that's right, the game is designed to accommodate more that 2 players), and half of them are designed around an attacker & defender setup.  I'm not sure about you, but I love more ways to play with my toy soldiers.

It's clear that a good deal of effort went into making the game focus on it's chief aspect.  I mean the game is called Dropzone Commander, so the use of drop-ships is one of the more unique things about this game.  From the moment you start organizing your list, you can see the difference, as transports don't count towards your unit limit for each of your battlegroups (a force comprises of three to five battlegroups).  The scenarios rely on your ability to maneuver around the battlefield.  It really is a different game experience.



The last thing I want to focus on is the terrain line Hawk Wargames has come out with.  One of the biggest objections I have heard about Dropzone Commander has to be about the scale.  A lot of us have played or are playing games in the 28mm to 32mm scale and as such our gaming areas are full of terrain for that scale.  Put a 10mm model next to that terrain and, well there is no easy way to say it, it looks like s**t.  So since the initial game release Hawk Wargames has released a line of completely customizable city terrain products.  With these reasonably (to me at least) priced tiles, you can easy make a cityscape to play your games on.

I hope you all have found this look into Dropzone Commander as much fun as I did in reviewing it.  If you did let me know your plans to get your group into the game, I'll be envious.  Leave any questions, comments, offers of monetary gifts below.  Until next time...

Belgarath97

No comments:

Post a Comment